HTC EVO Shift 4G
|EVO Shift 4G|
Rooting your HTC Evo Shift 4G
This guide is not applicable if you are running Android Gingerbread 2.3.3
Download the files needed, here, and extract them to the root of your SD card
Android SDK with ADB (Make sure you have working drivers)
Lets Get Started!
1. Gain temporary root using Z4Root or Visionary
2. Open a Terminal or Command Prompt and change directories (cd) to your platform-tools directory (Wherever adb is located)
3. Once in your SDK directory type (Allow SU Permissions when prompted)
adb shell su md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_orig.bin md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_eng.nb0
The above MD5s should be: 386c19451e8dd18f9b98fad6b11be4c0 hboot_orig.bin & 60ec1006e6ec2e8acb370d6aad35b17e hboot_eng.nb0
If the above MD5's do not match what you got in steps 3 & 4 then redownload the files and DO NOT CONTINUE!
This next part involves a slight risk of bricking, especially if you have bad md5sums as listed in the above steps. Take you time on this part!
1. If you happened to exit your ADB shell, reopen it and type su (Allow SU Perms when prompted)
2. Run the following commands and DO NOT REBOOT
dd if=/sdcard/Shift/hboot_eng.nb0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
(This last output should read 60ec1006e6ec2e8acb370d6aad35b17e if it does then you can reboot)
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/Shift/hboot_check.nb0 md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_check.nb0
Ignore next paragraph if the above MD5s match
If you get a wrong MD5...
...then it is recommended that you flash back to stock by typing these commands
dd if=/sdcard/Shift/hboot_orig.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/Shift/hboot_check1.bin md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_check1.bin
The last output should read 386c19451e8dd18f9b98fad6b11be4c0 If it does not then DO NOT REBOOT and keep trying!
1. Shut off your phone, then reboot into bootloader by holding power + volume down till it boots into bootloader mode
2. At the top of your display look for the words "s off" If you see that then reboot into Android, if not then you failed somewhere when flashing hboot
3. Put the phone into Airplane Mode (you can do so by holding power until the power menu pops up)
4. Temp root with visionary
5. Once temp root is obtained, attempt perm root with visionary If all goes well then you are Perm Rooted!
Recovery1. Open an ADB Shell and gain SU by typing
su2. In the terminal type
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p25 of=/sdcard/Shift/wimax.bin dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p30 of=/sdcard/Shift/udata_wimax.bin
You have now successfully backed up your wimax partitions
3. Download this file and extract the .img to wherever fastboot is located on your computer
4. Open a terminal or command prompt and cd to the location of fastboot (as well as your recovery.img)
5. Type the following command
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
6. Now boot into recovery to see if it worked, if so then enjoy your root! :)
Original Guide located here
DISCLAIMER: RootzWiki is not liable or responsible for any damages to your phones, this is solely the users decision to "root" their phone. Enjoy!