Before You Begin
This is how to root the HTC Legend, do NOT use this on any other phone!
This will erase all the data on your phone so please at least sync your contacts with Google before continuing.
Create a Goldcard
Before You Begin
1. Some memory cards simply will not let you edit them in the way we are about to, so you may need to do this procedure and if it doesn’t work, try a new memory card. 2GB Kingston SD card DOES work for sure so up to you if you want to just buy one of those before beginning.
2. YOU WILL NEED AN SD ADAPTER! This can be a MicroSD to USB that allows you to plug the SD card into your computer’s USB port OR a MicroSD to SD adapter if you have a SD port on your computer.
Follow these instructions (with video) to setup ADB for your phone, then come back to this procedure to continue.
Create a Goldcard
1. Put the memory card you want to use for the GoldCard into your phone.
2. With the memory card in your phone, click on Settings, SD and Phone storage, then click Unmount SD card. Once it unmounts, click Format SD card. (Please keep in mind that some memory cards don't work, and this will erase all data on your SD Card so back all the data up first to your computer)
3. On the Phone, goto Settings, Applications, Development and then make sure USB Debugging is checked.
4. *Make sure you have installed the SDK and Fastboot correctly from Section I!!! Plug the phone into the computer and then open the Command Prompt (goto the start menu and type in cmd in the search box). Then type the following with hitting enter at the end of each line.
(wait for it to show a serial number underneath, if it doesnâ€™t then reinstall theÂ drivers from section I). Then type:
(There is no spaces in this line EXCEPT right after the word cat in the beginning, make sure to put that space in)
5. A code will display, write the code down (MAKE SURE TO WRITE IT DOWN EXACTLY!)
6. Goto this site,HERE, (thanks to Soaa for the reverser!) then put in your code you just wrote down into the text box and click submit. It will generate the code reversed and replace the first two digits with zeros automatically. Write that down and continue.
7. Now, on your computer, go HERE and enter your email in the appropriate field and for CID enter the reversed CID you just copied down BUT REPLACE THE FIRST 2 DIGITS WITH 2 ZEROS! (i.e. 12345678910 becomes 00345678910). *Thanks to Viper for providing these Goldcards for FREE!
8. Click continue and then you will receive your goldcard.img via email. Once it arrives save it to your computer.
9. Now, go [HERE] to download the HxD Hex Editor. Save it and install it to your computer.
10. Take your SD card out of your phone and put it into the SD adapter it came with. Then put that into your computer so it shows up on your computer as Removable Disk.
11. Open the Hex Editor (Run as Administrator if one Vista or Windows 7) and click on the Extra tab, then click on Open Disk. Under Physical Disk select Removable Disk (your SD card you just put into the computer). Make sure to UNcheck "Open as ReadOnly". Click OK.
12. Goto the Extra tab again and click Open Disk Image. Open up the goldcard.img that you saved from your email. You should now have two tabs, one is the SD card (Removable Disk) and the other is the goldcard.img Press OK when prompted for Sector Size 512 (Hard Disks/Floppy Disks).
13. Click on the Goldcard.img tab and click on the Edit tab and click Select All. Then click on the Edit tab again and click Copy.
14. Click on the Removable Disk tab (Your SD Card) and select offset 00000000 to 00000170 then click on the Edit tab and click Paste Write.
15. Click on File then click Save.
16. Close the Hex Editor.
17. Test what we've done:
Take out the memory card from the computer, then put it back in. Try to open the memory card on the computer (Removable Disk), if it lets you, you are all set. If it asks/tells you to reformat the card, then try steps 13 - 19 again. If it gives you the same error again, then try a different memory card (Erlern said it didn't work for him until he finally went and bought a Kingston 2GB card, then it worked on that card).
Now to continue the root process....
Flash the Rooted ROM
1. Download the Rooting Tools - Here
2. Unzip them to the C: drive on your computer (so the file path is C:\r4-legend-root\)
3. Turn off your phone and turn it back on by holding down Back and Power until you see Fastboot come up on the screen. Push the Power button while highlighting Fastboot on the phone and Fastboot should show up in red now on the phone (if it doesn’t push Power again until it does).
4. Plug the phone in via USB cable to the computer.
5. Open the folder you extracted to the C drive and double click “step1-windows.bat” and wait for it to finish.
6. Once you see the menu on the phone come back up, navigate to BOOTLOADER and push power, then navigate to RECOVERY using the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select and the phone should boot to the ! screen.
7. Now on the computer double click the “step2-windows.bat” file and wait for it to finish.
8. Now you should see a custom recovery screen, using the optical trackpad navigate to Wipe and push on the trackpad to select it. Then navigate to Wipe data/factory reset and select that.
9. Once that is done, push volume down to go back to the main menu and select Flash zip from sd card and select the rootedupdate.zip file and wait for it to flash. All done, you have root access and can use any root required app! Enjoy!
DISCLAIMER: The Unlockr, MoDaCo and RootzWiki are not liable or responsible for any damages to your phones, this is solely the users decision to "root" their phone. Enjoy